I have made up my mind in 2013 not to waste time with folks who are not serious about their dreams.
- That means if you want to write a book. Write it. Quit wishing. Just do it.
- That means if you want to speak. Start speaking. Quit waiting to be asked, create your own event.
- That means if you want to start a business or make a video or sing a song – research your options on HOW to do it, get a plan together (with a budget) & get it done.
It amazes me how many people are just stuck. They don’t move forward because they are not willing to do three things:
- Take to time to learn the industry – really research.
- Set aside the money for the project.
- Follow through on advice, instructions and recommendations from professionals.
What’s really sad is that most of the people who are not following their dreams and not making them come true are Christians. Yes, I said it. Those who “believe” God – but not disciplined enough to take the time to do the work.
Faith without works is DEAD. Bible all day, every day.
So how could you want to “get your message” out to the masses, yet not know anything about marketing today. You should have a library of ministry marketing materials.
But, if you don’t want to learn about it, that means you have to pay someone to do for you.
And that takes a budget.
Just because “God told you to get the message out” or start the business doesn’t mean that the professionals (lawyers, graphics people, web designers, marketing consultants, etc.) are supposed to help you get it off the ground and get it going for FREE. That’s foolish thinking.
Either there is an investment of TIME to learn to do it yourself – or investment in money to pay someone else to do it for you.
I will not spend full-time energy on someone else’s “part-time” dream.
If you are serious about what you want to do, you will sacrifice some time, money and energy to make it come to pass. Speaking with one of my mentors about what I’ve been seeing lately, she said, “Pam, folks are just lazy. They just want it to fall out of the sky. Especially Christians.”
Is that true? Are Christians not diligent with the vision God gave them? That is missing the mark, right?
I know we are dedicated to our business. I personally work on my business by learning my craft and keeping current on new technologies, resources, systems and procedures. God’s best is my goal.
When you’re serious these are the things you do:
- You buy books (lots of them) and read them – and apply the information.
- You spend time doing your homework, reading blogs, listening to podcasts, doing research.
- You spend money and go to webinars and subscribe to trade journals/magazines.
- You go to conferences and apply what you learn after you leave.
- You know your industry and participate in industry events and trade shows.
- You network on a regular basis with those who are part of the industry either by posting comments on their blogs, going to meetings, meetups or interviewing them.
- You get certified or get a degree in the field. At least take some courses.
- You enter contests – to see how you “stack up” to others in the field and to see what else you need to learn to improve your skill set.
- You take time to write a blog, create content – and build a community around your passion.
- You learn technology, not because you are “geeky” but because you know this is the tool to go to the next level – and be on the cutting edge.
Amazing to me how people will waste your time on a dream they never really took seriously themselves.
In 2013, favor will follow those serious about their dreams.
P.S. Need help getting a handle on it all? Feel free to contact us via email at support (at) pamperrypr.com or by clicking here. We are here to help build your dreams. What are you planning in 2013?