The easiest way to get publicity is to find out what a producer/editor wants and give it to them.
It’s not about YOU…they want to know what you can do for THEM. Make the media look good and you look will get paid!
- How much publicity can you get? $10,000 a month at least. It’s simple but you have to follow a lot of steps. It snowballs…then people come knocking at your door. I teach this is the Coaching class.
- Start with “grass roots” and build out. Try out the smaller or local stations/newspapers first. You crawl before you walk. Before you pitch CNN, how about pitching and getting on your local morning show first.
- There are some PR companies that you pay for performances not promises. (Guarantees are what people want but it is expensive. Is PR or sales the goal?)
- People can pay for interviews secured or pay $2,000 to $10,000 a month. Decide what ROI before you shell out that must cash. Are you really going to sell that many books? You have a higher ticket item to make it worth it?
- It’s never too early to get started with your publicity campaign. 90 days is not too early! You can get pre-orders and you can plug your website. You can do seminars on your book topic for free to garner interest.
- Give away books to get publicity. Ask for reviews and have them post on Amazon and GoodReads.com
- THE BASICS. Need: Media kit (A folder with the pasted cover of the book on it. Then a press/media release, bio, testimonials, GOOD photographs). The media know that you’re a professional if you have this.
- Press releases. Optimize them so people can find it high on Google. PRWEB.com and BlackPR.com are good ones. (see list below for more)
- Write a column for a local paper or magazine for free in exchange for a plug for your book.
- People are always looking for more content. (Newspapers and broadcast) – so send out a newsletter to the media, send postcards, send emails.
- Build Relationships with the media…and other book clubs, church book clubs. Network!
- Do teleseminars, podcasts or regular seminars – this establishes you as an expert.
- Blog…You have to blog to let your voice be heard. Plus it ranks high in search engines. (It’s YOUR Brand online, the launching pad for your social media marketing campaign)
Getting media publicity generates a perception of trust. Branding is all about trust. It starts with the proper tool, the Press Release.
Places to post your press releases. Even though you shouldn’t rely on these sites to get media coverage, they sure do help with search engine ranking. Most are free, but some do charge a very low fee.