Have you wanted to become a go-to media expert in your field? You can be, if you know what to do. This post will share the tips and tricks that are necessary for becoming known as an expert in your industry. When you’re an expert, you’ll get interviewed by the media which will give you more visibility and positive publicity for your business.
1) Become an expert – To become an “expert” on any topic of interest to the media industry, all it takes is a little bit of research. Read up on the latest happenings in your area and keep track of any trends or breaking news that may be relevant to you. If there is a new study published with findings related to your field, share it on social media!
2) Stay Active on Social Media – Social media is a huge tool that someone can use to gain authority in their industry. It also gives them an opportunity to talk about current events and topics with other experts and influencers who have similar interests. By using social media correctly, one could build up a large following of people who look forward to hearing from this person when they share information or articles related to their area of expertise.
3) Blogging – Writing a blog is an excellent way to position yourself as a market leader and add credibility. The most important thing when it comes to blogging, especially if you are just starting out with your business or personal blog, is that you have something valuable to offer. You’ll want to create blog posts that are relevant and valuable for your target audience, rather than solely focusing on the business you’re trying to promote.Blogging is a great way to establish yourself as an expert, build relationships through social media, and stay on top of current events for your industry. Click To Tweet
4) Offer Something Valuable For Free – When it comes to getting media attention for your business, there are a few things you can do that will help get journalists interested in what you have to say. One of the most effective ways is by giving something away for free. This is a great way to show credibility with the media and build up trust between you and them. The more they know about your company, the better their article will be!
- Give away a free product like a book or your digital course so they can sample it
- Offer them an exclusive interview with you or someone on your team, maybe even if they can’t do the interview in person, see what you could offer as compensation instead – like a Zoom interview. They’ll want options.
- Offer to guest post on their blog or website. They love thoughtful articles. Make sure to add value and make it showcase your expertise. Add your author bio at the end and your website.
- Offer them a press release, which journalists use to write their articles. They might not even need much more information than what your press release provides.
5) Email Marketing Campaigns – One way to position yourself as a market leader is by sending out email marketing campaigns with links back content that positions you as a credible person. Make sure you give people the option to unsubscribe from your emails as well.
One way I have found myself positioning myself as a leader and adding credibility is through email marketing campaigns with links back to my podcasts, videos and other relevant blog posts
6) Connect with journalists in your field – Research who is writing about the topics that interest you and become friends with them, even if it’s just through social media contact. Share articles they write about those topics, retweet their work, or give them a shout-out in your posts. It may sound silly but this simple act will help build up good karma; one day they could return the favor when you need it most! The media can be the best friend of any business, and it is important to have a solid relationship with them.
7) Pitch stories – When pitching stories, make sure not only are these articles about topics that interest you, but also that they are relevant to the interests of journalists in your field. If it’s a slow news day and there is no breaking news or trending topics about your area, come up with a creative angle on something that may be interesting for them!
You might be wondering how you can become a REGULAR expert in your field to the media. Well, it all starts with a commitment to becoming knowledgeable on topics that are relevant and interesting for journalists and consumers alike. To get started, take some time every day (or week) to read up on industry news or breaking stories related to your desired area of expertise.
If you want training on how to get ready for the media, please visit ReadySetGoSpeak.com – this is a membership community that will guide you to become that media darling! We provide with the right words to say and the strategy on how to get started with the vault full of workbooks and easy to follow templates – plus a forum to ask questions.