Whether it’s for work or school or staying in touch with friends and family, this pandemic has many of us live on camera … and who knows when that will end? For some companies, it will never end; even after the pandemic, they’re not going back to the office.
That’s why my guest, Valonda Calloway, wrote her book, Tips from The TV Lady: A Guide for Making a Great Impression on Camera and in Person. As she says in this episode, “This could be the way we communicate [from now on], so put in the time and the effort to learn how to look your best.”
Valonda’s book is quick, easy, and practical with tips and true stories from her decades as a TV news reporter, anchor, and show host, her years as a dancer and a cheerleader, and her work in commercials and corporate videos.She shares winning video tips throughout this episode, so listen to learn: what those ring lights are actually for, how to remove glare from your glasses, what jewelry not to wear (and why), the problem with wearing patterns and prints, the hair-y habit that’s a worldwide distraction, the what and why of minimal makeup, how to look thinner on camera (if that’s your thing), and how this pandemic has made TV producers of us all … and more!
“[On video] do whatever it takes to remove the distractions” – Valonda Calloway
Highlights From This Episode:
- What ring lights are actually for
- Got glare on your glasses? Here’s how to get it gone…
- Jewelry: What not to wear and why
- The core message of Valonda’s fun and practical book: Tips from the TV Lady
- The problem with wearing patterns and prints on camera
- A hair-y habit that’s a worldwide distraction
- Did you know that video viewers can hear your hair? Here’s how…
- 6 quick tips for a better Zoom background
- True Story! How Valonda chooses and uses her brand colors
- What Pam loves (and doesn’t like) about her video setup
- You really need a pair of dimmable lights when…
- How to look thinner on camera – but only if that’s your thing! #bodypositivity
- Why you’d want to get media training sooner than later
- The minimum makeup and how to get rid of that shine
- Why this pandemic could be a boon for dentists and orthodontists
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining me on this episode of the Get Out There and Get Known podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a 5 star rating and review on Apple Podcast (formerly iTunes) to help me reach even more people.