Have you wanted to work in the news media? Well, the word from Ken Lemon — TV reporter and 30-year veteran of the news industry — is that The Great Resignation (aka The Big Quit) had a notable impact on them, too, and there are plenty of openings.
There are so many opportunities available that they’re willing to train you if you’re coachable — no experience required.
That’s just a taste of the insider info you’ll find in this episode, where we also cover: a hard truth about the glamorous jobs in broadcast news, what every reporter wants to hear in your media pitch (and a good reason your great story didn’t air), how to get in touch with journalists and reporters online, why PR pros should join the National Association of Black Journalists, the 2 childhood interests merged to become Ken’s lifelong career … and more!
"If you’re doing PR out there, one of the best ties is to be a member of NABJ” – Ken Lemon
Highlights From This Episode:
- True Story! When a love of politics meets love for acting
- The truth about the glamorous world of broadcast news
- Your Media Pitch: How it’s caught by a reporter
- What every reporter will ask about your pitch
- Award Winner: Reporting that captures a moment
- 3 ways reporters uncover great stories
- 3 reasons your great story won’t make the cut (hint: it’s not about you)
- 3 places to contact media pros online
- Why Ken prefers Twitter over Facebook
- Networking Tip: Join member groups of adjacent industries
- How NABJ advocates for blacks targeted by media bias
- What’s Now: About NABJ’s Black Male Media Project
- What commitment to your cause looks like
- Ken’s advice for young journalists
- Want a job in journalism? This is the time to apply, and here’s why…
- Dr. Pam Perry's Ready Set Go Speak! Program
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining me on this episode of the Get Out There and Get Known podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a 5 star rating and review on Apple Podcast (formerly iTunes) to help me reach even more people.