If you’re ready to send pitch emails to the press – or you already do and the answer is always No, if you get a reply at all – then you’ll love this interview with my guest and friend Janell Hazelwood, who’s been in the field for almost 20 years as a journalist, editor, and media strategist.
Formerly at Black Enterprise and The New York Times, Janell is now a consultant for minority women entrepreneurs and founders, so she knows the pitching process from both sides of the table. She’s someone who can tell you why your pitch emails are being rejected or ignored by media contacts AND how to get them to say Yes!, Wow!, and Thanks!A successful media pitch means offering the right story to the right person at the right time, so listen in while Janell and I talk about: media trends to look for and where to look for them, why you should make friends with the CEO’s assistant, who’s in control of the media these days, pro tips for working with a media strategist, why it’s okay to be the candied yams instead of the turkey (so to speak) … and more!
“Pitching is a process; it’s not just throwing mass emails out there.” – Janell Hazelwood
Highlights From This Episode:
- Meet my guest, Janell Hazelwood – journalist, editor, and chief media strategist
- How this editor-journalist started her training at age 10
- True Story! Let your interests to fine-tune your gifts and talents
- True Story! Use your failures keep you focused
- How to get noticed by media companies
- 2 areas to focus your pitch research for maximized results
- 3 trends to look for and where to look for them
- Why you should pitch to the bottom of the org chart
- Why even celebrity stories get overlooked and shut down #relevance
- Answer this ONE question for complete clarity on your pitch
- How to keep up with what’s relevant
- Why it’s okay to be the candied yams instead of the turkey
- Who’s in control of the media these days (hint: it ain’t the media)
- Success Story! Share your views and influence to get media attention
- A pro tip for working with a media strategist
- How some publicists double-dip for income #ethics
Did you enjoy this episode?
Thank you for joining me on this episode of the Get Out There and Get Known podcast! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a 5 star rating and review on Apple Podcast (formerly iTunes) to help me reach even more people.